Once the design stage of the contract is complete you will need to determine an accurate building cost for this reason a Quantity Surveyor is required.
Appoint a Quantity Surveyor / Cost Engineer
Some might not know what a Quantity Surveyor/Cost Engineer is or what function they perform so I am going to attempt to explain. A QS is that person who can most accurately determine the total cost of constructing your home. See Wikipedia’s definition of a Quantity Surveyor. In a nut shell he will look after your financial interests in all aspects of the construction project.
- He is the come to guy when deciding on and managing your professional team. The QS ideally tenders out aspects of the project to general contractors, plumbers, air-conditioning, landscaping contractors, etc with the purpose of getting the best contractor at the most competitive price.
- You will require his services throughout the project so that you don’t open yourself up to too much risk or over pay your suppliers and contractors.
- Ideally your QS will help ensure the project is kept within your budget.
- Will help with dealings with your bank and that fair loan payments are paid to you from your bank.
- Most importantly a QS would ideally find savings, without comprising quality, for his client. No price can be allocated for this service.